Refinished antique dresser

I posted a picture of us hauling furniture to our other house on Instagram and received a few comments about my refinished dresser. I just finished it in the last week, with Ross’s help, because everything takes longer with a newborn!

Finished dresser in the trailer

A few months ago Ross came home with a hideous dresser he found on the side of the road. He thought I could refinish it and switch out the drawer pulls and it would be a great little dresser for our baby girl. I was dubious. It was painted a horrific pukey-pink and the wood was super chipped and the handles were in the shape of a cinnamon roll. My primary concern was that someone peed in it, or an animal was living in it or something, because it was on the side of the road.

The pink paint (underneath) and cinnamon roll handles

From what I can tell though, there’s really nothing wrong with the dresser itself. The drawers are clean inside! It was just the outside that was turning me off. We looked at the stamp on the inside and it was stamped Lea Line Leads. Lea Line Leads furniture was trademarked in 1949 but that’s about all I could find out about it.

As I brushed the first coat on

I used wall paint that was left over from George’s nursery (a very light cream color) and wiped it on with a brush then rolled it on for the last few coats of paint. To give it the antique look I knew I needed to scuff it up, but there was no way I was going to run a sander and risk waking the baby, so I grabbed my acrylic craft paints and folded up some cardboard for a straight edge. I dipped the folded edge in brown and black paint and just willy-nilly scraped the cardboard across some¬†edges. It is easy to overdo it though, so resist the urge to cover every corner. Stand back and wipe some paint off with a wet cloth if needed.

Antique-ing with acrylic paint on cardboard

Every time I attempted to work on it, baby Jonna gave me about 10-15 minutes before she started crying, so Ross finally took pity on me (it sat half finished for weeks) and finished it for me, adding the drawer pulls. We bought these super cheap drawer pulls on Amazon ($1 each!!!) but beware, we’ve had to re-glue the diamond part of two of them with Loctite – no biggie though.

Close up of my paint job

I almost forgot to take a before pic so I’m glad I snapped one before I took the handles off. Without before pictures it is hard to understand the level of ugly. Now it looks like a totally different dresser.We love the end result!

Finished dresser sans handles

Finished dresser!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *